Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Works wonderfully and quinoa does not stick to the bottom of the pan though I coat it with a little coconut oil before using. It is easy to operate. Takes a minute to get used to the bubbling when it begins cooking but not too long. Easy to operate and easy to clean.



This little 3-cup rice steamer (not a cooker!) makes good rice and cleans up easily. It's quite fast, too, but the lid rattles as the water is boiling while it steams the rice. My biggest complaint is the price. I was in a hurry when I bought this and didn't compare it to other sizes by the same company. Now I see that the 10-cup version of the same model line is about the same price while a 6-cup version is more expensive than either one. All sold by Amazon, not a 3rd party. What's the deal?

This does a great job at cooking rice, but I have not tried cooking anything else. I had to experiment with how much water to put in the outer part of it according to how much water I was using for the rice. I found it helps to soak the rice for 30 min. first. I use Indian Basmati rice, so I use 2 cups of water in the inner pot along with 1 cup of rice (that is, U.S. measures). I then use the little enclosed cup to put about 1-1/2 cups in the outer chamber. I just find it annoying that the enclosed cup is only 6 oz., so when it is advertised as a 3-cup rice cooker, it is NOT 3 cups U.S. measure - it is 3 of the little 6-oz cups. So I just stick to the U.S. 1 cup rice/2 cups water measure, and it is fine.

This stainless steel rice cooker and steamer offers multi-functional cooking options: cooks rice and porridge, stews soup, steams vegetables, fish and poultry, and much more all with a simple touch of a button. Cooks with steam to maintain nutrients for a healthy lifestyle Stainless steel components: body, cover and inner pot Features automatic shut-off and independent Warm switch Note: With this unit, the amount of water in the cooker determines the cooking time, you may add more if desired, but at least 1-Cup of water must be placed in the cooker before starting the cooking cycle

We enjoy white rice each and every day for as long as I can remember and we have waited a long time for an 3-4 cup rice cooker that utilized a non-coated stainless inner steam pot. For the past two years Sunpentown's competitor's 8 cup stainless cooker has been our mainstay and though it has been a nice unit it was always an effort to clean the stainless pot and learned that soaking it with soapy water for 30 minutes was very helpful, but still two of us didn't require such a large cooker. By chance I happened to hear of the Sunpentown 3 cup rice cooker at a reasonable price and maintained it included a stainless steel inner cooking pot. I ordered one from Amazon and was so dissapointed after reading the opinion/review that the inner pot was or could be coated with some type of non-stick coating so I e-mailed Sunpentown asking if this was or wasn't true. Within an hour I received a cordial letter informing me that all of the inner cooking components were indeed stainless steel and were never coated with any PTFE or other non-stick coating. After receiving the cooker we enjoyed 3 cups of great tasting rice and because the pot sits in 1 cup of water the extreme temperature to the bottom of the inner pot is minimized and the rice is cooked evenly. We still soak the cooking pot for a short time but it is not necessary and cleaning is very easy. Thank you Sunpentown for developing exactly the right rice cooker this family wanted.

Read More : Sunpentown SC-886 3-Cup Stainless-Steel Rice Cooker and Steamer




0 comments:

Post a Comment